Friday, March 23, 2012

(My) uses for mobile computing

30 years ago I bought a Sharp pocket computer so I could try out programming ideas away from the office or computer lab. (I still do this today.) 20 years ago I still did a lot of library research on site.  I bought several small machines and wrote some software so that I could input/log information in the library stacks as I found it. (I do not do this today. I do not visit libraries or roam the stacks like I used to.) In the last few years I have made more use of electronic documents.  I have several ereaders but prefer larger screens and so also use tablet computers, netbooks, and laptops to read ebooks and pdf documents (publications, theses, etc.). I have occasionally used wireless connections to search the web, access email, and buy books online when away from my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment