Saturday, September 1, 2012

Scientism

I advocate scientism, the "belief in the universal applicability of the scientific method and approach, and the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or most valuable part of human learning" (Wikipedia, scientism).
There are, of course, various versions of scientism, some stronger than others.  I believe that all knowledge is of an approximate character and human capabilities are limited and limiting. Human science has boundaries/limits/limitations.
E. F. Schumacher (in A Guide for the Perplexed) claims science (and scientism) is confined solely to what can be "counted, measured, and weighed."  Clearly he is wrong.  The wavefunction can not be so measured but is an important part of science.
I don't believe science is (or can be made) value-free (or value-neutral).  Values are needed and used whenever we make decisions/judgements of any kind. I advocate some sort of value system like that in my 21 Sept. 2010 blog.
I do not advocate any single perspective, rather I advocate a "scientific pluralism" (see my 26 Sept. 2010 and 17 Aug. 2012 blogs).

No comments:

Post a Comment