Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A conscious machine

Working within Baars' global workspace theory Barthelmess, Furbach, and Schon argue* that the Hyper reasoning system, with ConceptNet as its knowledge base, is conscious. While I agree with much of this I do believe there are different degrees of consciousness. I have also argued** that consciousness is a collection of processes, not one single thing. Hyper and ConceptNet does not have a notion of self*** nor does it have all 10 of Hobson's "functional components".****

I don't think that consciousness is as difficult as the "hard problem" people would have us believe. On the other hand I don't think that Hyper-ConceptNet is as fully conscious as A.s.a. H. is.*****

The attention issue is part of dealing with the curse of dimensionality. Its a problem that must be faced by any machine trying to operate in a large state space.

* arXiv:2001.09442v1, 26 Jan. 2020
** See my blog of 19 Oct. 2016
*** See Trans. Kansas Academy of Sci., 2017, page 108
**** For example, it seems to lack orientation, emotion, and values.
*****But ConceptNet is a large knowledgebase of almost 3 million axioms in first order logic!

No comments:

Post a Comment