Monday, September 27, 2010

Problems with electronic submissions

Electronic submissions for publication have their problems.  In the old days when you sent in a paper copy of an abstract they might occasionally cut off an edge when it went under the camera.  I will report on my recent experiences with the Bulletin of the American Physical Society because they have been the worst but I have had similar problems with other journals and conferences.

My last submission to BAPS had a % symbol dropped.  This did not occur in the echo to my electronic submission.  I was using the American Physical Society's own software (Latex).

The submission to BAPS just prior to that one had no errors that I noticed but the one just before that had 5 extra characters inserted in various locations throughout the abstract.  In past years I have had as many as 3 or 4 words dropped in an abstract.  Sometimes the sense was lost completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment