Thursday, February 14, 2013

Teaching Asa H concepts/vocabulary

In chapter 1 of my book Twelve Papers (www.robert-w-jones.com, book) I describe how Asa H was taught words like

move
stop
fast
slow
obstacle/object
turn
collision
recharge

and sensory examples of each.

With Lego NXT sensors I believe I can teach Asa H words and concepts (meanings) like

touch
see
force
left
right
hear
say
approach
revolve
push
grasp
lift
drop
hunger
color
hard
soft
weigh
hot
cold
light
dark

I can also teach letter and numeral recognition, as well as recognition of some common objects in Asa H's environment.  But Lego NXT sensors may be too limited, too few, to give Asa the 800 or more examples I think I need in order to begin to deal with natural language. (I do have webcams as well, of course, and Lego has used these too.)

Or, can computer speed and a small number of sensors substitute for the large volume of sensory input humans get?

No comments:

Post a Comment