Thursday, February 18, 2016

Humanoid robotics

I want my artificial intelligence Asa H to understand enough of the concepts (words) that humans use so that we can communicate with one another and understand one another. This wont be a perfect correspondence but then it isn't between individual humans either.  So far I have tried to give Asa any of these needed concepts in the simplest (and cheapest) way that I can.  My blogs of 1 Oct. 2015 and 5 Nov. 2015 explain how I've done this with several mobile robots and other computer interfacing methods.

Some philosophers believe that the details of our body configuration are also important if an artificial intelligence is to adequately share and understand the concepts humans use to describe our experience. (i.e., the idea that we might never understand what it is to be a bat, for example, just because its body configuration and sensors are too different from our own.) I have not tried to build a humanoid body for Asa H.  As expensive as robotics is humanoid robotics is typically even more expensive. Even Blankenship's minimalistic Arlo (Arlo: The robot you've always wanted, CreateSpace, 2015) would cost at least $2000.00 without sensors and without the computer(s) that would hold Asa itself.

At other times I want Asa to form concepts that humans don't yet have (for example my blog of 10 Jan. 2016). If these two goals are mutually exclusive I may simply have to follow two different training paths for two different versions of Asa H. (The old question again of what the learning curriculum should be for an artificial intelligence.)

No comments:

Post a Comment