Sunday, October 1, 2023

I've traded space for time

When I quit teaching (and university service) I had thought I'd have more time freed up for research. But it meant also giving up lab and office space. My library is probably a bit easier to use now that it's all in one building. Software development is perhaps a tiny bit harder since the desks I have at home* are a bit smaller than what I had at ESU. Lab space is the biggest issue. Most hardware must be stored away to save space. This means time is required to find and get things out, do the experiment, and then put things away again. Everything can't just be left out and in the way.* The required space has been reduced but more time is needed to do most experimental work. A careful reorganization of the laboratory equipment may help somewhat. 

* I've sometimes used the dining room table. Temporarily. See my blog of 7 January 2012, second photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment