Monday, April 1, 2024

Pluralism

 Kant argued that one can not know the thing in itself (das ding an sich). Rather, we all create models of the world. I have previously noted* 5 such alternate realities.** 

1. materialism  

2. idealism

3. dualism

4. theism

5. multiverses

In my pluralism I most frequently employ #1. Next most frequently I employ #5. I infrequently use #3 and hardly ever use #4. I never seem to employ #2. I could probably keep detailed statistics on this but it's surely dependent upon what's being studied.

* See my blog of 15 June 2022.

** There are, of course, variations*** and combinations**** of these 5.  (Neither do I insist upon keeping the number to 5.)

*** If ultimate reality was composed of simply quantum fields or the wave function that would be a variation of #1 (provided "materialism" refers to any of the concepts defined and employed by modern physics).  There are, of course, many variations of #4.

**** #3 and #4 are frequently combined, for example.                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment